Sunday, July 1, 2012

Blog Reflection 3


I still thought about what teaching next year will be like, mostly because I decided to dedicate myself to this course while it was here and then devote myself to designing my face-to-face course afterwards. For as much as I have thought about, visualized, and worried about upcoming teaching experiences, I hope I equally finding assurance by thinking back to this course to as a guide.

I feel like I have a better grasp of designing a course for its content progression, but now I also know that there’s nothing like actually getting down and trying to put a course together to see what it looks like when all of your proposed projects and lecturettes are available and next to each other.

I knew that the internet had potential as an educational tool, but wanted to know what that potential was and how to utilize it from an instructor’s perspective, which I appreciatively learned about during this course. I also knew that online courses were different from face-to-face courses, but I didn’t know that both offered benefits and concerns unique to their environments. I believed that online courses lacked student engagement and that anything a student learned online simply wouldn’t stick. I’m glad I got to learn about creating meaningful online communities and providing intrinsically purposeful content, because it helped changed my perspective of online learning. I’m also glad that while I got more acquainted with wikis and yodios, I also have further possibilities I can try to better utilize the technology for the purpose of the pedagogy as a result of our group discussions.

I will not forget the resources of today’s technology and how they can be relevant to classroom work. I will not forget that there are articles, videos, and other online materials that are accessible and could greatly contribute to students’ learning experiences. Also, I will not forget to look at course design as many pieces, resources, and concerns coming together into a constructed whole instead of getting lost at the daunting immensity of taking on an entire course, design and content, as an object in itself. I did it once; now I know I can do it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment