Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Reflection 1: Quiz Results

        The student online learner quiz labeled me as readily competent for enrolling in distance learning courses. However, I felt like I should have been docked points because I know I have a stronger inclination to procrastinate if the course is online instead of in person. It’s not that I disrespect the online course; I just find it easier to leave projects for later than I should because, like the internet and Facebook and viral YouTube videos, the class is always available for me. I’m not as focused on establishing a time for class work because the timing of the course is so intangible. Several of my peers still see me as a workaholic, so maybe I’m being too critical, but I don’t think I’m a 10 out of 10 student candidate; at least give me a 9 because I know I have room to grow.

        When I took the quiz for instructors, I received the results I expected: mostly prepared, but not optimal. I’m inexperienced with some of the technology and I’ve never had to design a course before. I understand why I felt unprepared after taking the instructor quiz; I have only recently been explicitly introduced to standard teaching concepts (timeliness, organization, learning goals). I’m thankful that C&I 438 can reinforce the pedagogical information I was exposed to in the Future Professors workshop at CTLT (Center for Teaching, Learning, and Technology) because the quiz was right: I have a grasp of, but am not confident of, what to do yet.

        I always want to see where I can improve, and I saw that space in the student quiz. I’m not content with my preparedness after the instructor quiz, but I’m excited to practice relevant skills and for personal metacognitive examination of what kind of instructor I want to be over the duration of this distance learning course.

1 comment:

  1. Emily,

    You're right, there's power in reflection.

    Dr. T

    ReplyDelete